When I was in high school, I had a part-time job and I really thought I had endless money. There was always money in my bank account, I could get most things that I wanted, when I wanted- it was the life. When I got to university I got a nice slap of reality, when I realized this was the case because I didn’t have a lot of expenses.
Needless to say, I had to switch up my spending habits and budgets. Bills and expenses became my priority and going out and doing the things I wanted more often than not, didn’t fit in those budgets. Drake told me, you only live once and I didn’t want to miss out on experiencing everything so I had to think outside the box.
- USE DISCOUNTS! Do you know how many student discounts there are? Start capitalizing on them.
- Sign up to all your favourite brand’s emails- They’re always sending special promos for their email lists.
- ENTER CONTESTS. Every time you’re on Social Media or trolling the internet, you’re a couple clicksaway from your chance at winning. I enter EVERY BMO Extra Deals contests for tickets to the best movies, games and concerts.
- Use your Schools- Universities/Colleges offer so many free/ discounted options for students- Gym memberships, discounts on transportation- look into it.
- SAVE. If you know your favourite artist is coming to your town and tickets go on sale in 3 months, save up for those events. You have to live a little. The money you save with your student discounts can be put towards your more pricey purchases!
Research discounts, contests and student benefits- it takes some time, but it makes student life way easier! Every little bit helps towards not living off noodles and water every other week (Trust me, it happens) and gives you an opportunity to buy the things and experience the things you want to without going broke.