Summer is finally here (blasts Fabulous- Sharpay…oh c’mon you’ve seen High School Musical 2…and it was your favourite HSM movie), and after what felt like a never ending winter, I’m sure we’re all looking forward to spending all our free time outdoors.
With summer, comes tanning. And whether it’s in your backyard, by the pool, or on the beach, we’ve got everything you need to know for getting the perfect bronzy glow a la JLo the RIGHT way.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Do tan between 10 am and 2 pm, this is when the sun is directly above you. You will be more likely to get an even tan in less time.
- Don’t stay out in the sun for hours, 15-20 minutes a day is all you need.
- Do protect your lips. They’re delicate and can easily burn. Protecting them is so simple, there are plenty of lip balms that have a good amount of SPF, and they’re not very pricey!
- Don’t obsess over a lack of tan. Don’t worry if you’re one of those people who doesn’t tan, just burns. Everyone’s skin is different, so embrace what you’ve got!
- Myth 1: Wearing a hat replaces wearing sunscreen on your face
- While it does provide some shade and slight protection, a hat isn’t an alternative for SPF. Wearing both is your best bet.
- Myth 2: You don’t have to worry about the sun on cloudy or cold days
- Some of the worst sunburns arrive on cloudy days! UV rays (up to 80%) still manage to find their way through the clouds, being unprotected gives them the advantage. Don’t skip the SPF when you see some clouds.
- Myth 3: Darker skin tones don’t need to worry about protecting their skin
- Many girls with darker skin tones believe they’re immune to the sun’s harmful side but that’s not the reality. You’re less likely to burn but skin damage is still a possibility.
- Exfoliate before tanning. Removing dead skin cells makes room for new ones. Tanning the new skin cells means a longer lasting, more even tan.
- 100% natural tanning lotion? Coconut oil! BONUS: Coconut oil maintains moisture in your skin which means less peeling
- Don’t feel comfortable going completely au natural at the beach? Try a BB cream that has SPF in it. For extra coverage start off with a moisturizer with SPF. *Our suggestion is Caryl Baker’s Perfect 10 BB Cream with SPF 30 (Plus you get 10% off with your SPC Card)
- Check the expiration date on your sunscreen, there’s no point in lathering up if the sunscreen is expired.
There you go, now it’s time to grab the lotion and start the motion, it’s time to get a tan- SUNTAN…. (Zoey 101?)